If your recruit has been placed in platoon 2149, then you are in the right place! This is the topic/place where anyone/all members affiliated with this platoon can come to connect with one another. If you have any questions, please just ask!

A good source of information for bootcamp is at our www.recruitparents.com webpage :) You can visit the link or find the box on the right hand side of every MFN page. Happy browsing!

Views: 433

Replies to This Discussion

WELCOME-- You have your official group, where you will find lots of support and answers to all your questions.

So you ask "NOW WHAT?"

Well this "Ride" some call "Recruit Parents Boot Camp" has been known to convert the most defiant into its biggest supporters. We call it the "Ride" because of the emotional ups and downs. Few of us would choose this ride but you do not have a choice your son enlisted, consider yourself drafted, or your recruit volunteered and you have been voluntold. So I would like to share with you my 3 simple rules for making it to January 11th.

1. This one is very simple. WRITE LETTERS lots of positive and encouraging letters, a recruit CAN NOT get to much mail. But please send only letters, news paper clippings, comics, letters from the pets at home, just send letters. All in plain envelopes for ideas on letters there are suggestions here on the boards under boot camp communications: http://marinefamilynetwork.com/group/bccomm

2. This is harder. Two phrases that will serve you well "No News Is Good News". This is a tough lesson to learn but will be your savior for years to come. Letters will be your only communication with your recruit for the next 13 weeks. Phone calls are a gift and should never be expected. After the "I've arrived" phone call, which some recruits choose not to make, phone calls are a privilege/reward for a job well done. The Marines have been turning recruits in to Marines for over 235 years so it takes a lot to impress the DI's and earn a phone call. You will get a phone call if there is a problem. So when you think you want a phone call do you? And “Semper Gumby” Semper Latin for Always and Gumby the flexible 70's cartoon character. When dealing with all things Marine, always remember, always remain "Semper Gumby" http://marineparents.com/marinecorps/sempergumby.asp

3. At Marine Family Network(MFN) No one, let me say it again NO ONE rides this ride alone. Some days you will be in the lead car hands over your head YELLING OOOOHHRAH!! and just as quick you can find yourself in the last car screaming I WANT OFF. Well this ride has only one scheduled stop, so the only way off is for your recruit to graduate boot camp, and the quickest way is for your recruit to graduate on time. Your letters, support, prayers will help make that possible. Others will jump on along the way, a few will take side trips to PCP(physical conditioning Platoon) and MRP(Medical Rehab Platoon) but still "NO ONE RIDES ALONE"! Your Message board moderators, like the "Marines", are "the best of the best", each has ridden this ride and lived to tell about it. So pull up a chair, seat belt optional, grab a role of Bounty, because Kleenex will never do, and hold on, because the next, last and only stop will be the MCRD parade deck February 22!

Hi, everyone. I'm a mom with a son in Golf co platoon 2149 who will be graduating Feb. 22nd. . We have been receiving letters from him, some positive and some that are kind of down/depressing. He has not yet received any of our letters that we have been writing. I was wondering if anyone knows whether any of the other boys in the platoon have started receiving any letters yet from home? It breaks my heart when we get his letters, wondering why he hasn't received any mail yet and just wishing to hear from us and to receive some encouraging supporting words from home.

Hi funhorses.  Your recruit knows that you, and others, are writing to him.  

One of the moms in another platoon wrote this to me a couple of days ago:

“I received a letter yesterday. It was wonderful to hear from my son. It is clear they just do not have a lot of time and that they are extremely busy. He did emphasize how helpful the letters he has received are to him. So my job is to keep writing him and I will stop worrying about getting letter in return. I know these young men are in good hands. And I know phase I is taking a predictable toll. I have read over and over how important encouraging lettere are. After reading my son's letter and realizing that, notwithstanding his preparation, he is shocked about the mental intensity of boot, I now have a better appreciation for the truth of that guidance.”  

Your recruit will probably get the letters all at once.  

Posted by a new recruit Mom on December 17, 2012

Hi bustersbabysitter, Just wanted to say thank you for the supporting words and wanted to say that we received a short letter from our son today. We were so excited to hear that he has received 1 letter from us!!!!! Yeah!! I guess it's a start and it made my day.

1~bustersbabysitter (Pam) said:

Hi funhorses.  Your recruit knows that you, and others, are writing to him.  

One of the moms in another platoon wrote this to me a couple of days ago:

“I received a letter yesterday. It was wonderful to hear from my son. It is clear they just do not have a lot of time and that they are extremely busy. He did emphasize how helpful the letters he has received are to him. So my job is to keep writing him and I will stop worrying about getting letter in return. I know these young men are in good hands. And I know phase I is taking a predictable toll. I have read over and over how important encouraging lettere are. After reading my son's letter and realizing that, notwithstanding his preparation, he is shocked about the mental intensity of boot, I now have a better appreciation for the truth of that guidance.”  

Your recruit will probably get the letters all at once.  

Posted by a new recruit Mom on December 17, 2012

Hey funhorses I have a son in platoon 2149 but also one in another company and platoon private message me and I can tell you all about what I have already been throgh with the first that left who graduates in 3 weeks from today.  I will invite you to be my friend

funhorses said:

Hi, everyone. I'm a mom with a son in Golf co platoon 2149 who will be graduating Feb. 22nd. . We have been receiving letters from him, some positive and some that are kind of down/depressing. He has not yet received any of our letters that we have been writing. I was wondering if anyone knows whether any of the other boys in the platoon have started receiving any letters yet from home? It breaks my heart when we get his letters, wondering why he hasn't received any mail yet and just wishing to hear from us and to receive some encouraging supporting words from home.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the pictures of Golf Co. platoon 2149 graduating 2/22 are posted. I was able to view platoon 2149 and got to see my son for the 1st time in almost 3 months. Can't wait to see him in person 2/22.

RSS

Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:
Click for Archive Newsletters

ANNOUNCEMENTS

MCM is Sold Out

but we still have 22 Bibs left. 

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content that may not comply with The Guidelines or Terms of Use. Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.

MARINEPARENTS.COM

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS

MarineParents.com:

The Marine Corps:

About Deployment:

WHATSAFTERBOOT.COM

A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

RecruitParents.com

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS
(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

RecruitParents.com:

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:

© 2014   Created by Marine Parents Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops MarineParents.com is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant
MarineParents.com, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14 MarineParents.com, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide
MarineParents.com is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.