MarineParents: Marine Family Network (MFN)

An Outreach Program of MarineParents.com

Thought I would throw this out there.  I think we as the parents of Marines with all the emotional ups and downs of this journey , We suffer a form of PTSD all our own.Not just one traumatic event but a series of emotional trauma. No matter how strong we have become, we are only human . This had to have taken a toll.  Why are we still here when all is said and done? We cannot leave .

Anyone of like thinking ?

Sue

Volunteer &

VPM to Cpl Kevin

OIF & OEF Veternan

1/7 & 3/4

Views: 138

Replies to This Discussion

You know Sue.....I totally agree with you on this one!!!!  The emotions are so many and so different all of the time, it does where on you big time!!!

My son is currently deployed, tho on a ship rather than in the sand.  Still, since he left I rarely sleep through the night.  The current norm is to wake up with a racing heart and sweaty palms, with no good reason other than subconsciously I'm always anxious.  This is now happening 3-4 times a night.  My doc says the only real alternative to sleeping meds (which I don't want to take, because I might miss a phone call in the middle of the night) is to try antidepressants.  I'm still thinking on it.   And with all that, I'd still encourage my Marine to stay in, do what he wants to do with his life.  How can I deny him his dream?

My mom told me once, being a parent isn't over when your kids are adults, you just have more things to worry about. 

Tanya your mom is a wise woman !  I still do not sleep very well or very often .  Now the worries are not about him being in a combat zone but what the time in that zone has done to him .  My Linda is in San Diego in the Navy and i worry about her so much .  The male/female ratio is like 6 to 1 .She has been having a difficult time of things lately too.

Guess we never stop the worries do we ?

Oh Wow Sue, I just realized you have a daughter in all of this too!  You have a lot on your plate, no wonder you don't sleep well.  and Yes, Tanya's mom is wise I agree!  Thanks Tanya for sharing that too!

Yep, Sue, I would have to agree.  My son will face EAS fairly soon.  I support his decision, either way.  Joining the Marines was the best thing that ever happened to him (at least from my perspective).  It's going to be a difficult decision for him.

Thanks for posting this topic.

Tanya, I've done both anti-depressants and sleep meds.  After a year long deployment, I'm glad I sought help and got sleep.  It helped me focus my attention on something positive.

1~PMMOM (Martha) said:

Yep, Sue, I would have to agree.  My son will face EAS fairly soon.  I support his decision, either way.  Joining the Marines was the best thing that ever happened to him (at least from my perspective).  It's going to be a difficult decision for him.

Thanks for posting this topic.

Tanya, I've done both anti-depressants and sleep meds.  After a year long deployment, I'm glad I sought help and got sleep.  It helped me focus my attention on something positive.

My son is recently back from his first deployment.. I feel a since of relief now.. I was stressed very much so while he was gone. But after loosing his father when he was only 12 to a Heart Attack Just four years after he got out of the military himself..  I guess I found a way to just let God handle it.. I prayed to God to return my son home safely and some how I just knew this time he would answer my prayers.. I knew God my father would not let me suffer a greater loss then loosing my Mate.. My son is so much like his Father it is like Pete and Repete. LOL.. I did not want him to follow in his fathers foot steps.. But knew that was a must as far as he was concerned.. His Father would be so proud of him.. Thank you for listening. SEMPER FI
Hey duse2...Praise God for His faithfulness!!!  So happy for you to have your son back home and for you to now relax.....I will be in your shoes either end of summer of beginning of fall, first time too.  So I just know that God will be walking with me and my son the whole time too.  So happy for you and thank YOU for sharing!!!
Hi Kathi.. Thank you for you Wonderful response.. I will be praying for you and your Marine.. I have been praying for all the wonderful young men and women who still carry on and protect our country. They are the ones I wish could be in the White house making the decisions.. I feel your Marine and mine and all the rest would Protect and serve with the least amount of cost to life. They know the price and they know what we are up against not the politicians. So I feel they could make better decisions. But that is just my belief and who listens to a blond anyways. LOL.. Seriously though. I want you to know how Proud all of us are of your son and so many more that have given so much.. I will be right here for all the parents that need to talk. I know what you will be going thru. and yet I still at times will feel at a loss in words to help you once your Marine is over there.. I just pray that it will be over with soon and perhaps he won't have to go. SEMPER FI. My heart goes out to you.
Ladies I want to say.. I too wish now I had of taken some kind of sleep aid. I was still working driving a school bus and at times I could not focus.. While my son was deployed I was taking care of my Grandma who was dieing of cancer and in hospice. I was truly a mess.. I will tell you if I had it to do all over again UGH!!! I pray never again.. I would have put my Part time Bus driving job on hold and not drove so much. I did not have an accident with my bus thank god.. But did with my brand new car.. Thank god no one was hurt.. The Gentleman that hit me was not paying attention was on the phone and was trying to do a Uturn but I had just got off work and was heading Home and had just got off the phone from answering it just incase it was my son or news of my son. You see I always trun off the phone while driving my bus and turn it on afterwards. Yes I was afaid of missing a call from my boy and I had just lost Grams a woman who helped raise me. So I was a Wreck waitng to happen... I should have been paying more attention to that driver that I thought was pulling over to use his cell. But changed his mind I guess.. And yes NO proof of that and I was sited for going left of center.. So my Bad again. So much happened in that year my son was gone. He only did the 7 monts that reservist do. But was gone longer cause they take him to training in Cali first for 3 months.. I would never want to repeat that Almost year again.. Cuase it felt like 2 or 3.. LOL.. I pray for you ladies. and I am here.. SEMPER FI

Not sure...but I was reading on a website about PTSD and came across info on what is called Secondary PTSD. If interested in reading about it, google "secondary PTSD". I think I will re-read also....

I'll check it out.  Thank you, DoItUpMom!

Martha (1~PMMOM)VPM of Cpl Neal, IRR

MFN Volunteer

RSS

Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:

Click for Archive Newsletters

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Starts with June 2016 and includes every month through June 2017. 

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content

that may not comply with

The Guidelines or Terms of Use

Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.

MARINEPARENTS.COM

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS

MarineParents.com:

The Marine Corps:

About Deployment:

WHATSAFTERBOOT.COM

A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

RecruitParents.com

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS
(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

RecruitParents.com:

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:

© 2017   Created by Marine Parents Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops MarineParents.com is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant
MarineParents.com, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14 MarineParents.com, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide
MarineParents.com is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.