Our son is part of India 3009. So ready to send some mail!

Views: 492

Replies to This Discussion

Called his recruiter he was able to look it up. They posted today

Just a suggestion for writing your letters. Keep them short and write as often as you can. Put a little #number on the back of the envelope, in case she gets more then one letter at mail call... she will know which order to read them in.

Send a self addressed stamped envelope with a sheet of paper inside with your letter. This makes it easier for them to reply. They will have access to writing materials, but not having to address the envelopes speeds it up for them. Happy posting.

1~Nanny

Called the recruiter's office and found out that my son is in this platoon.  He stated he had just gotten off the phone with another mom who hadn't received any letters for weeks, only to be bombarded with all of them in one day.  The recruiter stated it can sometimes take up to 3 weeks to receive a response, depending on how backed up mail on the island gets.  Not that that was what I was wanting to hear, but it's always good to have realistic expectations...cuts down on the worry. 

wingless

Send a self addressed stamped envelope with a sheet of paper inside your letters... that will help them to respond quicker. The PO at MCRD serves the entire Island, so there is a lot of mail. 

Write as often as you can and put a small # on each envelope in case they get more then one letter at mail call.

1~Nanny

Thanks for that tip Nanny.  Will do.

1~Nanny said:

wingless

Send a self addressed stamped envelope with a sheet of paper inside your letters... that will help them to respond quicker. The PO at MCRD serves the entire Island, so there is a lot of mail. 

Write as often as you can and put a small # on each envelope in case they get more then one letter at mail call.

1~Nanny

Your more the welcome

1~Nanny

Well its here! The first letter has arrived.... Mom called me at work and said she received a letter today. We agreed she would wait for me to get off work and open together. After driving 80 MPH to get home she decided she need some stuff from the grocery store. I hope this is not the form letter we have been reading about, that may kill me! I never thought looking at handwriting on the outside of an envelope could mean so much! Will keep you posted Nanna...

Ugh.... Form letter from DI saying our son is in great hands. Back to square one.

Nicomom

That's alright...notice the handwriting on the form letter? It's his!! And now you have confirmed his mailing address. Here is a blog about that form letter. Just remember it is a form letter, do not call or email the SDI and do not send anything except letters until your recruit tells you.

http://marinefamilynetwork.com/profiles/blogs/the-form-letter-under...

And the Letter Lag...

http://marinefamilynetwork.com/profiles/blogs/the-letter-lag-phenom...

Keep sending those letters, mail call is very important to them.

1~Nanny

Don't feel bad Nicomom....I went through the same thing when I saw the envelope with my boy's writing on it.  Such excitement met with such let down. My task at the moment is just trying to send at least half as many letters to him as his girlfriend does!  LOL  Think I will start trying to be creative and send some pictures...some endearing, some funny, just anything to lighten the mood.  Keep us posted when you do get your first letter.   :)

Nicomom said:

Ugh.... Form letter from DI saying our son is in great hands. Back to square one.

I noticed the PO Box on the letter I recieved from the Drill Instructor was different from the one I recieved from the Marine recruiter's office when he looked it up.  Will this make a difference and should I start using the one from the Drill Instructor? 

That form letter was sent by your recruit. I always suggest that you use the address that your recruit uses, he will be your best source of information.

1~Nanny

RSS

Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:
Click for Archive Newsletters

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content that may not comply with The Guidelines or Terms of Use. Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.

MARINEPARENTS.COM

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS

MarineParents.com:

The Marine Corps:

About Deployment:

WHATSAFTERBOOT.COM

A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

RecruitParents.com

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS
(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

RecruitParents.com:

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:

© 2014   Created by Marine Parents Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops MarineParents.com is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant
MarineParents.com, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14 MarineParents.com, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide
MarineParents.com is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.