Anyone else's son get deployed to Korea??? My son had just been assigned to his unit when they told him he was being deployed to Korea.....Anyone else get the same news from their's???

Views: 589

Replies to This Discussion

It should only be for a couple of weeks to maybe 1-2 months (depending on what unit/squadron they are assigned to). They do annual training with the South Korean military. There are several units and squadrons from Okinawa that are going up for this training event. My husband participated in this in the late 90s, our daughter will soon be following in his footsteps.

Oh, it does. The first 3-4 months are the hardest. He is sleeping when you are awake and vise versa. You have to learn when the best time to Skype or Facetime is. You will not hear from them like you did. They are kept busy and then when they are off, you guessed it, you are asleep. You will adjust, we all had to. It seems like the more flexible you are, the easier time you have of it.

BTW, this op is so short for most of the guy's that they are not getting mail service anyway.
issy said:

He is so new there that he has not been able to give us an address...:(

I really appreciate the quick response, help and advice.....This is a great site!! :)

These training OPS are done every year. Keeps them in tip top shape. When Ethan was there he did the Philippines Op and loved it. He is also Motor T.

Bonita

My son was in a year a few weeks ago it flew by. The worst time was boot camp. Yet it was the best time, writing letters the old fashion way. LoL this I think will be the next time. I got used to getting up so early in am making coffee sitting down to text him. Cut the cord no way. To receive a text I was happy. But this is the path our young Marines chose.
My son has only been in Oki since the end of the year & has been deployed too. He will be gone for a few months.. I haven't heard from him yet, but I know that as soon as he is able he'll be in touch. I sure do miss the random messages at all times of the day & night he was sending me before!

They still love getting mail. It is a all one sided for me. He much prefer's Skype lol, I do too, because I get to see him. I know how much those letters mean to him, so I still write.

Hi all,

Yep, my son will be on deployment also this spring.  He's been in Oki since Feb 2013 and it's flown.  Facetime is great and it seems to work best with the time difference on the weekends.  Hopefully, he'll be able to take leave sometime this year.  I miss him a lot.  He really likes Okinawa. 

Issy, my son left last Thurs. on a ship for 3 months. Last spring he had to go to South Korea for training.

Happy Wed. to you !

New to this group- hello to all.  My son leaves for Japan at the end of the month.   As we were driving home from the airport he was pumped up and telling us the time difference will work out well for us!  My husband and I deliver bread and bakery products overnight, so he'll be able to call us when he gets off work and we'll be working!!!

Beanpole's Mom,  Welcome!!  How wonderful for you and your Marine to be able to work out the time difference so easily! Your son's  positive attitude will go far. My son will be in Oki a year in April....let me tell you, it goes fast. I am surprised how fast a year can be. Again, welcome to the Oki boards, feel free to post on the main Oki boards too. There is a lot of info out there and everyone with Marines there, are extremely helpful and caring. 

RSS

Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:
Click for Archive Newsletters

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content that may not comply with The Guidelines or Terms of Use. Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.

MARINEPARENTS.COM

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS

MarineParents.com:

The Marine Corps:

About Deployment:

WHATSAFTERBOOT.COM

A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

RecruitParents.com

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS
(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

RecruitParents.com:

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:

© 2014   Created by Marine Parents Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops MarineParents.com is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant
MarineParents.com, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14 MarineParents.com, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide
MarineParents.com is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.