I believe this is what my son is going to be doing.  Anyone have information about this MOS?

Views: 6221

Replies to This Discussion

Hello @kimbwpc, welcome to the group. MOS2111, Small Arms Repair, has your son completed Recruit Training and MCT yet? Hopefully this will give you some insight into the MOS (or  Military Occupational Speciality)

"MOS 2111, Small Arms Repairer/Technician (GySgt to *Pvt)

a.  Summary.  Small arms repairer/technician in the grade of private through lance corporal, under supervision, performs basic duties incident to inspection, maintenance, and repair of all small arms, less vehicular, mounted weapons.  The small arms repairer/technician also completes basic shop administrativ forms and records utilizing technical manuals.  At the corporal through gunnery sergeant level the small arms repairer/technician performs, trains, and supervises various duties incident to inspection, maintenance, and repair of all small arms, to include vehicular mounted small arms.  The small arms repairer/technician also prepares, maintains, and supervises a shop maintenance and management program and coordinates maintenance and repair of small arms according to grade." This information came off the web and is a good solid description of the MOS. 

There is the long defininition, basically, your son will brcome a Gunsmith,for all practical purposes,  being able to inspect, maintain, and repair any small arms in the Marine arsenel. He will get basic instruction in the MOS school, and as he progresses, he  will continue to learn thru his deployment to the Fleet. It is there that he will practice his trade on a daily basis. What ,we in civilian life consider our 9-5 job. My Marine was interested in this field also but due to the needs of the Corps, is now a 2131, Towed Artillery Repairer/Technician. I hope that helps, Semper Fi, ArcticDevilDogDad, VPD of PFC Sam, 2/10 Marines

Thank you so much for that information :) 

ArcticDevilDogDad said:

Hello @kimbwpc, welcome to the group. MOS2111, Small Arms Repair, has your son completed Recruit Training and MCT yet? Hopefully this will give you some insight into the MOS (or  Military Occupational Speciality)

"MOS 2111, Small Arms Repairer/Technician (GySgt to *Pvt)

a.  Summary.  Small arms repairer/technician in the grade of private through lance corporal, under supervision, performs basic duties incident to inspection, maintenance, and repair of all small arms, less vehicular, mounted weapons.....

Hello Kimbwpc and arcticdevilddogdad.  Hope you all had a good christmas and new years.  My son is also small arms repair.  He is stationed in Fort Lee at this time and will be graduating MOS mid/late February.  I am from TX. Where are you all from?  My son did his basic at MCRD San Diego and MCT at Camp P. 

Hi Kristen, Happy New Years as well.  My son is entering MCT on January 17th.  I am in Scottsdale AZ and my son also just graduated basic at MCRD.  I get confused on the MCT, MOS, etc.  I know MCT is in January but I dont know what happens after that?  Maybe you could give me some insight since your son is already doing it.  Does he like it? Do you know what his PDS will be?  I love all information if you can provide.  Thank you.

MCT is Marine Combat Training which my son did after boot camp (he graduated 16 september 2011), is MOS is his schooling - my son is in his schooling right now in Fort Lee, VA for the small arms repair. PDS is permanent duty station. I do not know what it is called for reserves but his duty station will be here in texas when he completes his schooling in mid/late February unless something changes.  Semper Fi as you know is Always Faithful and Semper Gumby is Always Flexible.  There is graduations for MCT and MOS but I have read and heard that they are very short and quick. I did not go to my son's MCT graduation because shortly after graduation he was sent to the airport to report for his MOS in Virginia. He is liking it very much and has been very dedicated to his training. I am still learning alot but would love to share whatever information I get and pass it along. It was great talking with you. Let stay connected through this site. It will be great. 

kimbwpc said:

Hi Kristen, Happy New Years as well.  My son is entering MCT on January 17th.  I am in Scottsdale AZ and my son also just graduated basic at MCRD.  I get confused on the MCT, MOS, etc.  I know MCT is in January but I dont know what happens after that?  Maybe you could give me some insight since your son is already doing it.  Does he like it? Do you know what his PDS will be?  I love all information if you can provide.  Thank you.

how long is this mos?

3 months is what I am hearing... would love to know for sure... If my son is in Class 34  can anyone find out the graduation date for 2111 Small Arms Repair in Fort Lee VA  he is Class #34 I think

soon*to*be*marine*wife(nissia) said:

how long is this mos?

My son's MOS is 2111. I have found conflicting information on where and how long the school is. Can anyone help me out with some info? Thanks!

The school us located at Ft. Lee. http://www.whatsafterboot.com/mos.asp
One member in this discussion says 14 weeks for the length of the school.
http://marinefamilynetwork.com/group/mos21/forum/topics/fort-lee-va...

Ok someone else posted a different link that listed a different base, but I'm assuming the info they had was outdated from what I see on Ft. Lee's website. I was also told somewhere else that the school is 10 weeks long, so a lot of conflicting information going around :\

My son is headed to Va. He just graduated MCT.

I just saw some info under the Ft Lee sight. But any info you would care to share as we head there in few weeks would be great!

RSS

Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:
Click for Archive Newsletters

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content that may not comply with The Guidelines or Terms of Use. Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.

MARINEPARENTS.COM

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS

MarineParents.com:

The Marine Corps:

About Deployment:

WHATSAFTERBOOT.COM

A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

RecruitParents.com

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS
(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

RecruitParents.com:

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:

© 2014   Created by Marine Parents Inc.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops MarineParents.com is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant
MarineParents.com, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14 MarineParents.com, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide
MarineParents.com is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.