MarineParents: Marine Family Network (MFN)

An Outreach Program of


My son will be heading to CP next week.  My husband is working on getting a car for him in our hometown, and then we'll be driving it over.  I am wondering if the title to the vehicle will have to have our son's name on it for him to be driving it around base.  Also, do they require CA plates?  Anyone have experience with this?  I have been looking around for info in this and haven't found anything. 



Views: 1156

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Marla,
Our son is stationed at CP. His car is in our names and has NC plates on it. We had to sign (notorize) a paper stating that he could drive the car on base. They also wanted a copy of our insurance policy. What JohnnyEMom said is what we have experienced also.
Good Luck

Any suggestions on  where he can take his vehicle  for the "smog" test?  Was wondering if there was a place

on base?

Thanks :)

To my knowledge there is not one on base but in Oceanside they are everywhere. Prices vary and make sure they ask for the military discount.

According to the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Community Services page, there is a Firestone Complete Auto Care at both Mainside (13 Area) and San Onofre (51 Area).  They list smog tests as one of their services.

Thank you ladies, I will pass the info on to him!

Appreciate the help.

We shipped my daughter's truck out to her with NH plates registered in our name. No state inspection will be required going forward but the vehicle has to be emissions tested in CA to get a military sticker. We can re-register the truck each year back at home and the base will provide safety inspection. That is what we are told. The truck currently has a check engine light on right now and needs an O2 sensor before it can pass emissions testing. We were told it only has to be CA emissions tested one time. Biggest thing is insurance. If your son is listed on the policy as a driver he/you will need proof on insurance along with a valid driver license to get onto the base.      

Hi all, my son just arrived at CP for his PDS and want us to ship him his car, ( it is registered and insured in his dad and my name only) we live in NC, does anyone know of a good transport company? also, does anyone know what is to do when the moment of the yearly inspection is due and when is time to get a new registration? ( here in NC we have to have the cars inspected in order to get the new registration and new sticker for the tag/plate) my concern is if the car is in California how we going to have it inspected? does anyone know if the cars can be inspected in California and if it is valid here in NC? and, as the cars need to have base permit/sticker/tag and current plates in order for not to be towed, what happen or what is to do when our marines are already deployed and the lapse falls when the car plates/stickers/base permit, are near its expiration date? any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.


Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:


Click for Archive Newsletters


Starts with June 2016 and includes every month through June 2017. 

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content

that may not comply with

The Guidelines or Terms of Use

Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.




The Marine Corps:


About Deployment:



A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:


© 2017   Created by Marine Parents Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.