MarineParents: Marine Family Network (MFN)

An Outreach Program of


Does anyone know what the requirements are to get a base sticker for a personal vehicle? I know the standard, registration and insurance, but my son was told that there has to be a smog test and you have to show the title also....the title is what is throwing me for a loop. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Views: 371

Replies to This Discussion

hi nancy, all we had to do was show DL and insurance. you don't have to show title and smog

if you are taking kids under 18 they don't have to show anything

My son is at Pendleton and he had to show registration, proof of insurance, and smog test. His truck is registered in Virginia and despite that the smog test is a requirement. I have never heard of showing a title as some people do not have their title if they have a car loan. Their bank may hold it. Also, you may need to ask if it matters who is on the registration. My son owns his own vehicles so it wasn't an issue for him.

im sorry, maybe I misunderstood the question, are you talking about your son keeping his vehicle on base or you guys visiting him on base?

LYMA is correct. Registration is needed, but not a title. If the vehicle is registered to a family member, your Marine will need a notarized letter authorizing him to use the vehicle. A smog test is required for all vehicles at California bases regardless of where the vehicle is registered, but they don't always check.

Thanks everyone! I didn't think a title was needed but a buddy of his told him it was. My son is currently deployed and he will be back to Pendleton in the near future. We will be bringing his truck to him and want to make sure he has everything he needs for the base sticker. The truck is his and registered as such...we are here in Florida, it'll be a longgggg drive to Cali, but so worth it!

Hi Nancy,

  Our son has been driving a truck on base at CP since May.  The truck is registered in my name in MA along with insurance coverage arranged from MA.   For MA, insurance and registration is all on same document that the dealership arranged to obtain for us. The dealer also had an emission test documented from MA for the truck.   Our son did need to take it to a shop in CA to get the smog test done as others have stated. I think he had it done off base.  He drove it around for a couple of weeks prior to finally having time to get the smog test and CP sticker.  He did not need a notarized letter authorizing him to use the vehicle though. He is over 23.  Maybe it depends on guard at the gate when they get the sticker.  He did get permission from his command, however, to have and drive the truck.  We shipped the truck to our son via a carrier arranged through the truck dealer. They delivered it to Mainside area of CP, to parking lot of the large MCX there.  It took about 8 days to get there after it was picked up.  Our son met them there to pick it up after he received phone call that it had arrived. He was so happy!


Good luck!


Littledrip who did you use to ship your car and how much did it cost??? I'm about to ship my son's from Michigan to Camp Pendleton and am looking for advice!!

Hi all, my son just arrived at CP for his PDS and want us to ship him his car, ( it is registered and insured in his dad and my name only) we live in NC, does anyone know of a good transport company? also, does anyone know what is to do when the moment of the yearly inspection is due and when is time to get a new registration? ( here in NC we have to have the cars inspected in order to get the new registration and new sticker for the tag/plate) my concern is if the car is in California how we going to have it inspected? does anyone know if the cars can be inspected in California and if it is valid here in NC? and, as the cars need to have base permit/sticker/tag and current plates in order for not to be towed, what happen or what is to do when our marines are already deployed and the lapse falls when the car plates/stickers/base permit, are near its expiration date? any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Shipping can be expensive. A few days road trip and flying back might be less expensive. Some of the other parents might jump in and tell you their experience and details about how to keep the vehicle legal (inspection, registration, etc).

We do have conversations of this nature occasionally on our message board...and members will post their advice, but it's usually for shipping a car to Hawaii if their Marine is going to be based there. Stateside moving of cars usually ends up with people recommending someone drive it.

Here are posts from other members with their advice and experiences:

Shipping this distance could be pricey and some have taken a cross country road trip (enjoying the sights along the way) then flying back.

Military Auto Transport

This link suggested in here:

Denita (1~steel_walk42)
MFN Volunteer - Membership & Moderator
VPMM of LCpl. Vincent


  I posted to your question on the main CP discussions.  Since we live all the way in Massachusetts, it was much to far to drive for us and flying can also be expensive.  Did not like the idea of driving over the Rocky Mts either.   Plus would have had to take much time off from work.  Anyway, shipping was best solution for us.  I called around to compare prices, they vary of course by how far away you are.  From VA it would have been about $800, from MA it was $1400.  The shipper delivered it right to the large MCX parking lot at Mainside on CP base and our son was given a ride there to pick it up.

Thank you Denita and thank you Jean, but, could you give me the info of the carrier you used? Please message me or can I message you? 


Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:


Click for Archive Newsletters


Starts with June 2016 and includes every month through June 2017. 

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content

that may not comply with

The Guidelines or Terms of Use

Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.




The Marine Corps:


About Deployment:



A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:


© 2017   Created by Marine Parents Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.