MarineParents: Marine Family Network (MFN)

An Outreach Program of MarineParents.com

This topic has been created for members who enjoy round-the-clock chatting about “this ‘n that”.

The last few posts from the comments section have been copied here so that everyone can pick up right where they left off.

Views: 331925

Replies to This Discussion

I know I'm pretty raw emotionally, but it just feels like no matter what I do it's not good enough. I want to fix this, but I can't. He made his choices and is now suffering the consequences. But at some point with addiction, you have no choice - the addiction just takes over. And it doesn't just affect the person with the addiction, but those who care about them. I'm learning more than I ever wanted to know about alcoholism.

I bet you are. You need this like you need another hole in the head! Alcoholism is an equal opportunity destroyer.

I'm so sorry for you Willow. I have to go to my barber appt. I'll BBL.

Thanks for listening- it helps. I hope I'm asleep by the time you get back!

The first thing you need to learn about any addiction is that you have no control, no choice. The person with the addiction is the one calling the shots. There is no "fixing" that you can do. The addict will even go to great lengths to defy you and your help. The best you can do is to stop trying to help him. You should really go to a few Al-Anon meetings. It will help if you let it. And if you are not comfortable talking to them, go to your pastor. You are in need of spiritual comfort beyond what we can provide.

That's why I've contacted the EAP at work and start next week. I know I'm in too derp

It is easy to get sucked in, I agree. The nice thing about Al-Anon, you don't have to wait, you don't have to make an appt, you don't even have to talk. And they are free.

I'll try to see if I can find a day time mtg. I'm off Sat night if there's one around. Thanks Alex

I went to 2 AA meetings. They were both held in rooms whose only source of light was a candle in front of each person. All I heard were horror stories. Nothing motivational or therapeutic at all. The doughnuts were good though, lol. I hope you have a different experience than me Willow.

Thank you. Me too. Well problem fixed. I have heat. I'm going to bed!

Can't speak about the AA meetings as I have never attended one. But the Al-Anon ones I attended were very informative and they helped with coping stratagies. You learned that the drinking is not your fault, not you problem to fix and not in your control. No matter how much you love someone, this is their choice, their path to walk, not yours. If love was enough, there would be no addicts.

What you said is true. But that doesn't negate the fact that its devastating on the drinkers family.

I know.

RSS

Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:

Click for Archive Newsletters

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Starts with June 2016 and includes every month through June 2017. 

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content

that may not comply with

The Guidelines or Terms of Use

Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.

MARINEPARENTS.COM

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS

MarineParents.com:

The Marine Corps:

About Deployment:

WHATSAFTERBOOT.COM

A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

RecruitParents.com

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS
(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

RecruitParents.com:

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:

© 2017   Created by Marine Parents Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops MarineParents.com is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant
MarineParents.com, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14 MarineParents.com, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide
MarineParents.com is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.