MarineParents: Marine Family Network (MFN)

An Outreach Program of MarineParents.com

My son is a reservist who's unit had a lot of turnover among the officers and Senior NCOs. As a result, I'm hearing that many of the young men have not had great leadership for some time. It sounds like the Junior NCOs are trying to sort out the implications for themselves. A few (more then you would think) are more or less just resigned to leaving the Corps (walking out?).

I obviously do not have access to the reams and reams of online resources. Is there anything I can pass along to my son (also a junior NCO) so he can help his buddies know the consequences and offer better solutions than just a pat on the back?

Many thanks!

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He should get a hold of the Reserve Command located in New Orleans. It is never ever a good decision to just abandon ones post as that is desertion and can haunt his furture. He would be liable for prison time, loss all benefits up to and including VA loans.

He should create a clear and percise document, giving a time line of the fracturing of the Command at his Reserve Station. It might also be a good idea to talk to JAG (legal counsel). Here re a couple of links that will help him contact Reserve Headquarters.

http://www.marforres.marines.mil/

http://www.marforres.marines.mil/About/Contact-Us/

I had a friend ask his Reservist son, who is  a Commandant about this. He says there is not a lot he can do except ask for a transfer to another unit. You will always have fluctuation in a Command unit.

He agrees that not going to drill is a bad idea, that the Marines in question would be dishonorably discharged. Which again, would follow him the rest of his life. It means a loss of security clearance & while that may not seem like a big deal, it is.

Even some factory jobs have back ground checks And any high level jobs invlving foreign travel can have security clearances, not to mention Gov. jobs will be out of reach.

These are good insights .... I followed up and heard the 1st Sargent when pressed said it isn't "all that bad" which sounds to me like a bit of sneaky/backwards way of getting rid of kids that he doesn't want to work with ( or he's incompetent ... Which is less likely). Really appreciate your time and feedback.  I'll be sharing it... Jason

Jason, In a normal working world, would you believe the person with 10+ years of experience or the guy with 2 years? Just sayin'

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Receive our Newsletter

Receive our Newsletter!
Enter your email:

Click for Archive Newsletters

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Starts with June 2016 and includes every month through June 2017. 

Alert us to Content Violations

Let us know if you find content

that may not comply with

The Guidelines or Terms of Use

Click to report.

Group Categories

Join several groups! Select from categories that meet your needs or match your Marine's career:

Our Fallen Heroes

Please take a moment to honor our Fallen Marines. Click here to visit the condolence forum.

Click here to learn more ways to support Gold Star Families or if you are a Gold Star Family.

MARINEPARENTS.COM

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS

MarineParents.com:

The Marine Corps:

About Deployment:

WHATSAFTERBOOT.COM

A few KEY LINKS for After Boot parents:

RecruitParents.com

HELP & INFORMATION LINKS
(links open in a new window by clicking "GO!" button below)

RecruitParents.com:

General Information:

Recruit Training:

Family Day & Graduations:

After Boot Camp:

Additional Resources:

© 2017   Created by Marine Parents Inc.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

The Care Package Project
Care Package Project™
Purple Heart Hero Support
Purple Heart Hero Support™
Operation PAL
Operation PAL ™
Gold Star Family Support
Gold Star Family Support™
Combat Recovery
Combat Recovery™
After the Corps
After the Corps ™
Gold Star Luminary
Luminary Initiative
Marine Parents Combined Federal Campaign #57100 Show Me Heroes Hiring Veterans in Missouri Capital One Visa Card and Marine Parents Supporting Our Troops MarineParents.com is a Marine Corps Charity Partner Eleven Years of Service to Marines and their Families Shop for Marine Corps items at the EGA Shop IBM and Marine Parents Partnership in Charity AmazonSmile and Marine Parents Charity MarineParents is a Guidestar Exchange Gold Participant
MarineParents.com, Inc.
PO Box 1115
Columbia, MO 65205
Phone (573) 449-2003
Copyright © 2003-14 MarineParents.com, Inc. ~ All Rights Reserved Worldwide
MarineParents.com is an IRS-approved 501(c)(3) public charity,
a Marine Corps Charity Partner, and Official Marine Corps Trademark Licensee.
Site Map   |   Statements of Use   |   Outreach Programs   |   Join Team Marine Parents
Neither the United States Marine Corps
nor any other component of the
Department of Defense has approved,
endorsed, or authorized this service.